Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Should I apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

You may consider applying for a TRV if you are a family member seeking to temporarily reunite with family in Canada, persons with medical and/or other inadmissibility issues that need to enter for humanitarian, social, or work purposes or a professional athlete, artist or emergency worker.

What is the purpose of a TRV?

TRVs are listed in section 24 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act IRPA and operate to soften the sometimes harsh consequences of the strict application of the IRPA, which surfaces in cases where there may be “compelling reasons” to allow a foreign national to enter or remain in Canada, despite inadmissibility or non-compliance. Basically, TRVs allow officers to respond to exceptional circumstances while meeting Canada’s social, humanitarian, and economic commitments. The following persons are eligible for a TRV:

  • Inadmissible and seeking to come into Canada if an officer is of the opinion that it is justified in the circumstances;
  • in Canada and is inadmissible, subject to a report or reportable for violation of the Act, or does not otherwise meet the requirements of the Act; and
  • not eligible for restoration of status.

When are TRVs granted?

In determining whether a TRV should be granted generally, officers are obligated to weigh the need and risk factors of each case. The InLand Processing Manual lists specific factors, some obligatory and some discretionary, that are to be considered in performing this assessment:

Officers must consider:

  1. the factors that make the person’s presence in Canada necessary (e.g., family ties, job qualifications, economic contribution, temporary attendance at an event); and
  2. the intention of the legislation (e.g., protecting public health or the health care system).

The assessment may involve:

  1. the essential purpose of the person’s presence in Canada;
  2. the type/class of application and pertinent family composition, both in the home country and in Canada;
  3. if medical treatment is involved, whether the treatment is reasonably available in Canada or elsewhere (comments on the relative costs/accessibility may be helpful), and anticipated effectiveness of treatment;
  4. the tangible or intangible benefits which may accrue to the person concerned and to others; and
  5. the identity of the sponsor (in a foreign national case) or host or employer (in a temporary resident case).

Where can I apply for a TRV and for how long?

TRVs may be issued at ports of entry and inland offices while permit extensions are only issued inland. Although certain applicants apply in person, most applicants apply in writing. An initial permit may be granted for a maximum of three years and may be extended for another two years. Depending upon the reason for entry to Canada, the time request could be for as short as one day.

Written submissions on a TRV application should, therefore, provide a ‘‘needs versus risk” assessment emphasizing the pressing need for the person to enter or remain in Canada and demonstrating that the applicant poses a minimal risk to Canadians or no risk at all. It is important to be aware that a TRP is deemed cancelled when the permit holder leaves Canada, unless the document authorizes re-entry.

Is an interview required?

Interviews are usually necessary for serious inadmissibility or flagrant or intentional violations, or to assess credibility, merit, or risk and the degree of contrition. An interview may not be necessary if inadmissibility is on health or technical grounds and when credibility or merit is not an issue or where the inadmissibility involves one or two minor (summary) offences and five years has passed.

Looking to get a Temporary Resident Visa? We can help!

For more information on Temporary Migration, please contact us to get started.

TRV Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) That Our Licensed Immigration Professionals Can Answer

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor? Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they'll put the date you need to leave by in your passport.
Only in some cases. You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if: You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada.
You do not need a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada if you are from a visa-exempt country.
If you're living in Canada, you must have been a permanent resident and physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four 365-day periods) in the six years immediately before the date of your application.
  1. Provide proof you will leave Canada at the end of the approved stay.
  2. Provide proof you have the financial means to maintain your family or self and return home.
  3. Prove you will not work or study without authorization.
The cost of a Temporary Resident Permit application is $200.